Thursday, September 10, 2009
Professions (Solved Excercises of the Text Book)
Q.1: Explain any one quality of teacher in your own words.
Ans: A teacher must have thirst for knowledge. He must not be satisfied with knowledge he possesses, because complete satisfaction means death. Teacher should try to increase his knowledge. That knowledge will benefit him as well as his students. He should not feel inferiority in acquiring knowledge from younger ones and less knowing persons.
C. Fill in the blanks with suitable words from the list given below;
Tasty, by product, reservoir, carefully, hobby, off-shore, modernizing.
1. The teacher examined each student carefully.
3. Stamp collecting is a good hobby.
4. Lunch was very tasty.
5. They are modernizing their mill by importing new machinery.
6. Manora is an off-shore island.
7. Coal-tar is a by-product of petrol.
D. Change into active voice.
1. Fresh water fish are caught from rivers.
They catch fresh water fish from rivers.
2. This is done with nets of various sizes.
They do this with nets of various sizes.
3. Fresh water fish are considered more tasty.
People consider fresh water fish more tasty.
4. They are sold locally as well as sent to nearby towns.
Fisherman sell them locally as well as send them to nearby towns.
5. Fisherman have been given loans to buy bigger and better boats.
The Government has given loans to fisherman to buy bigger and better boats.
E. Put verbs in parentheses into correct tense.
1. I (stay) here until he (come) back.
I shall stay here until he comes back.
2. If you (speak) the truth, I (not punish) you.
If you speak the truth, I shall not punish you.
3. When he (reach) the station the train (arrive).
When he reached the station the train had arrived.
4. I (find) the book which I (lose).
I found the book which I had lost.
5. If you (not hurry) you (miss) the train.
If you do not hurry, you will miss the train.
6. If it (not rain) we (go) out for walk in the evening.
If it does not rain we shall go for a walk in the evening.
7. If he (study) regularly he (pass) the examination.
If he studies regularly, he will pass the examination.
8. He (go) to the market and (buy) two exercise books yesterday.
He went to the market and bought two exercise books yesterday.
9. I (go) abroad for higher studies as soon as my result (announce).
I shall go abroad for higher studies as soon as my result is announced.
10. The teacher (punish) the boys who (not do) the home work.
The teacher punished the boys who had not done the home work.
F. Use “Since” or “For” in the following sentences.
1. It has been raining since morning.
2. They have been playing for one hour.
3. I have been living in this house since January.
4. She has been suffering from fever for two days.
5. I have been preparing for examination since Sunday last.
6. He had been building a house for six months.
7. The girl has been making a doll since .
8. He has been studying in this school since 1994.
G. Learn the spellings and meaning of the following words from lesson and use ten of them in sentences of your own.
Source, engaged, hobby, individually, recognized, spoilt, marine, various, tasty, locally, warning, keen, modernizing, available, off-shore, institute, by products, obtained, glue, liver oil.
1. Source: A piece of land is his source of income.
2. Engaged: They are engaged in meeting.
3. Hobby: His hobby is coin-collecting.
4. Individually: If you try individually you will not succeed.
5. Recognize: The thief was recognized by the girl.
6. Spoilt: Cat spoilt the food.
7. Marine: Marine life is in danger due to pollution.
8. Various: There are various objects on exhibition.
9. Tasty: Mangoes are very tasty.
10. Locally: The fish is sold locally.
11. Warning: Warning is written on the notice board.
12. Keen: He is keen on acquiring knowledge.
13. Modernizing: They are modernizing factory.
14. Available: Text books are not available in market.
15. Off – shore: Manora is off – shore island.
16. Institute: Government has opened computer institute.
17. By – product: We obtained by – products from mustard – oil.
18. Obtained: Students obtained permission of principal for making trip.
19. Glue: Glue is for pasting paper.
20. Liver: His liver has failed to produce blood.
H. Select words from list A which are similar in meaning to words in list B.
Enshrined Preserved carefully
Divine of God
Par – excellence the best
Professional Concerning ones job
K. Choose the right meaning from brackets
Reverencing Paying respect to
Ponders Thinks about
Strives Tries hard
Incorporate Make part ofStatus Position Tags: English for Matriculation
About : Raja CRN
Author description goes here. Author description goes here. Follow him on Twitter